June 29, 2013 was the date of our inaugural performance of The Goon Show LIVE!
This first show was presented at the historic Paragon (here’s their Trip Advisor page), Australia’s oldest cafe and chocolate maker. Situated in Katoomba, Blue Mountains, this was the perfect venue for our launch.
The show featured three original The Goon Show episodes which were writted (sic) by Spike Milligan;
- A Christmas Carol; series 10, episode 1, first broadcast 24th December, 1959
- The International Christmas Pudding; series 6, episode 9, first broadcast 15th November, 1955
- The Raid of the International Christmas Pudding; series 6, episode 17, first broadcast 3rd January, 1956
This initial season ran from the 29th June to 3rd August 2013. To date, the lads have played 51 shows.
Since then, we’ve toured to Sydney (twice now, in support of the Rotary Club of Wahroonga) and the Hunter Valley. There have been a few one-off shows around the Blue Mountains too.
One major highlight has been performing in Woy Woy… Milligan Mecca, in September 2016. This is a very special place on the NSW Central Coast, because it’s where Spike’s parents settled down when they came to Australia.
Some other interesting bits & pieces;
- In our first season, a gentleman drove from Melbourne just to see our show
- In that first season we had a marriage proposal staged during one of the performances
- A couple flew all the way from Auckland N.Z. especially to see us during our second Yulefest season in 2014
- A group of 3 gentlemen planned their Australian holiday from the U.K. specifically around our March 2015 Sydney shows
- There are plethora of devotees who keep on returning again and again to our shows… one couple has been to at least 6 shows (you know who you are…)
The cast of TGSL! are; Robin Queree channelling Spike Milligan, John Stretton being very tall as Peter Sellers, Simon Lenthen as the elaborately proportioned Harry Secombe, David Attrill playing the BBC announcer Wallace Greenslade and Andrew Russell as our Musical Master. Meet the cast here.
All of our shows are live recreations of the BBC’s original The Goon Show broadcasts, which were written by Spike Milligan and others.
Our shows feature original sound effects; digital FX are created by John Stretton who also appears on stage as Peter Sellers – and live noises are created and performed by David Attrill who brings Wallace Greenslade’s character to the stage.